1.16.2012

Lemon Squares

I first saw this quilt on Fresh Lemons Modern Quilts and fell in love with it--she had it on her blog as a free pattern!  To view the original quilt or download the pattern click here  It took me a few months to gather the coordinating fabric from this line from Lakehouse Prints.  I searched quilt shops in Michigan, Utah, and Arizona.  I finally had it all--or so I thought.  I began cutting all the pieces and there was a lot of cutting to do.  I had half of them cut and sitting in a cute little shopping bag on the floor in the laundry room.  My husband had poured water into the iron to use it and left the water bottle on the counter without capping it tightly.  Some of it spilled into the bag of fabric and got it wet.  Genius me thought I could dry it on low in the dryer and not shrink the fabric--wrong!  The pieces all shrunk almost 1/4" and therefore didn't fit with the other ones that weren't in the bag.  This is a definite no-no in quilting.  So, I had to cut the rest of the pieces smaller to match the ones that shrunk.  Then, I ran out of the green polka-dot fabric to bind the quilt with.  I couldn't believe it.  I was off on another search to find more of it, or at least something that matched it.  Finally, in October, I found another coordinating print in a quilt shop in Utah that would work.  It was a rick-rack print, but the stripes ran the length of the fabric, not the width (like usual).  So, I had to cut at least twelve strips instead of six and sew them all together being careful to match the color repeat--what a job.  I was "bound" and determine to get this quilt done.   Finally, after five hours of hand sewing the binding on the back--I finished it!  So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  

No comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS