7.18.2011

Lakeside

This was my very first house--the one that my parents brought me home to from the hospital. We moved from this house when I was only twelve, but I remember it like it was yesterday. I can recount the hot summer evening sitting in the living room watching the first man walk on the moon. I also remember the day JFK was shot and when they sent us home from kindergarten early, I walked two long blocks to this home. Anyway, in May we drove slowly by so I could take some pictures. The owners happened to be outside and said hello (kind of in a suspicious way). I explained that I grew up in the house and they invited us in. They told us when they were remodeling they had found a postcard from the 1960s and wondered if I knew any of the names on the card. It was addressed to my parents and was sent to them by a cousin visiting Vancouver. They gave it to me as a keepsake and I especially treasure it because both my parents and cousin have passed away. These kind people gave me a complete tour of the house! So, of course, I had to send them a thank you note with a yellow house to match. Even though this jumbo wheel "Neighborhood" just retired, it's still one of my favorites.

1 comment:

rmlepard said...

How exciting ,to be able to go through your childhood home!! And how sweet of them to let you take the tour through it. Just a few weeks ago Ron and I went by the house that i grew up in. It was empty and being remodled and so we walked all around it and looked in all the windows. It was so much fun! I'm hoping to see it if they have an open house when it is finished. Isn't it fun to go back in time?

The thank you card is very cute! I'm sure they will love it, especially the yellow houseto match theirs!!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS